2020 budget: Gov. Lalong proposes N71.5 billion

Plateau state governor Simon Lalong has submitted a budget estimate of N71.5 billion to the state house of assembly as the budget for the 2020 fiscal year with a promise to commence payment of new minimum wage from next year.

The 2020 budget estimate a capital expenditure of N74.4 billion representing 43% of the total budget while the remaining 57% goes for recurrent expenditure.

Of the entire sum, the water and energy sector got the lion share of about N16 billion followed by works sector with about N15 billion.

Lalong who tagged the 2020 budget estimate as “Budget of Rescue and Infrastructural consolidation” said, Our approach to sustainable governance policy implementation and staff welfare will continue to be given priority consideration.

“For example, the issue of the New National Minimum Wage has recently been in the front-burner. Government appreciates the Organised Labour and Civil Servants as partners in progress. We see the yearnings or demands for increase in the minimum wage as a genuine source for motivation, improved productivity and general improvement in the living conditions of our Civil Servants and their families.

“I have accordingly approved the constitution of government committee to negotiate with the organised labour with a view to coming out with modalities for implementation.

“We share in the challenges faced by all and sundry in the light of some market forces that could defeat the good intention behind salary increase. With the Bill now passed into Law at the National Level and accented to by Mr. President, we are also fully committed to its implementation and have therefore made provisions in the coming fiscal year to address the issues” he said.

Source: The Nation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s