The executive chairman of Pankshin Local Government Sir John Damap has donated 5 highlander jeeps to newly promoted traditional rulers in Pankshin to second and third class statuses. They are:
HRH THE MISHKOOM MUPUN, 2ND CLASS
HRH THE LONG MISHIP, 2ND CLASS
HRH THE DISTRICT HEAD OF KADUNG, 3RD CLASS
HRH THE DISTRICT HEAD OF TAL, 3RD CLASS
HRH THE DISTRICT HEAD OF DOK PAI, 3RD CLASS.
Mr. Damap while presenting the cars charged the new traditional heads to promote peace and unity in order to leave indelible footprints in the sands of time. Similarly, according to his close aide, renovation of the king’s palaces is ongoing and he assured of quality work to meet modern standard.
The presentation of the staff of office and certificates was done by his excellency Gov. Simon Bako Lalong. Read his full speech below. 👇
SPEECH BY THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF PLATEAU STATE RT. HON. (DR) SIMON BAKO LALONG AT THE INSTALLATION & PRESENTATION OF STAFF OF OFFICE TO NDE WESLEY E. MULLAK, LONG MISHIP AS 2ND CLASS CHIEF OF MISHIP CHIEFDOM; HRH. MISHKOM YUSUF WALE FWANGBRING, MISHKOM MUPUN AS 2ND CLASS CHIEF OF MUPUN CHIEFDOM; HRH. RUDENGMA LAWI BULUS LIKEN, RUDENGMA KADUNG AS 3RD CLASS CHIEF OF KADUNG CHIEFDOM; HRH. GWOLONG NANLENG YUSUF GUTUS, GWOLONG TAL AS 3RD CLASS CHIEF OF TAL CHIEFDOM; HRH NDE LAMGOCHA D. TARAR, NGOLONG PAI AS 3RD CLASS CHIEF OF PAI CHIEFDOM HELD ON 17TH DECEMBER, 2019 AT PANKSHIN MINI STADIUM.
- We are gathered here today for this very special occasion which is to present Staff of Office and install Traditional Rulers for five Chiefdoms. They include:
i). HRH Nda Wesley Mullak, the Long Miship as a 2nd Class ruler of Miship Chiefdom
ii) HRH Mishkom Yusuf Wale Fwangbring, the Mishkom Mupun as 2nd Class ruler of Mupun Chiefdom
iii) HRH Rudengma Lawi Bulus Liken, the Rudengma Kadung as 3rd Class ruler of Kadung Chiefdom
iv) HRH Gwolong Nanleng Yusuf Gutus the Gwolong Tal as 3rd Class ruler of Tal Chiefdom
v) HRH Nda Lamgocha D. Tarar, the Ngolong Pai as 3rd Class ruler of Pai Chiefdom.
- Looking at the large turnout of people here and the excitement on their faces, there is no doubt that this is indeed a day that was anxiously awaited.
- We are therefore happy to bring to you an early Christmas gift as we install these five traditional rulers and present them with the Staff of Office to enable them exercise their authority.
- This event is significant to us because of the fact that it is the fulfilment of one of the promises we made during the campaigns.
- Although many of our political opponents thought we were just using it as a campaign tool, you nonetheless gave us the benefit of the doubt and re-elected us into office overwhelmingly.
- Let me therefore use this opportunity to thank you most sincerely for giving us your votes and reposing your confidence in the Rescue Administration. We promise to make you proud just as we are doing today.
- Ladies and Gentlemen, this is an event that is very important to the people, just as it is to Government because of the important role the traditional institution plays in the affairs of our State and the nation in general.
- Since we began the second batch of installations last week Friday at Izere Chiefdom of North Local Government, I have continued to emphasize that the decision to restore and create Chiefdoms and Districts is part of our effort to ensure peace and development.
- This is because people have been yearning for this development for a long time and the longer their aspirations are left hanging, the more frustrated they become.
- As a listening Government that respects the wishes of the people, we cannot close our eyes nor shut our ears to these agitations even as we seek to consolidate peace in the State.
- While I congratulate the traditional rulers for this elevation, I wish to remind them of the task before them and the expectations of both the people and Government.
- You are the custodians of the culture, heritage, values and identity of your people and you must ensure that you enhance it rather than allow it die in your hands.
- Leadership demands sacrifice, patience and vision to work for the good of others rather seeking personal gains. You must make the welfare of your subjects paramount at all times.
- The Government will be relying on you to maintain peace and security in your domain by deploying your structures to mediate and resolve conflicts before they get out of hand.
- You are to also work closely with security agencies within your domains and members of your traditional councils to anticipate, detect and nip in the bud any attempt to cause a breach of the peace.
- It is only when there is peace that we can rapidly implement our 3-point policy thrust of Peace Security and good Governance; Infrastructural Development; and Sustainable Economic Rebirth.
- Our desire in creating and restoring Chiefdoms and Districts in the State driven by the quest to give everyone a sense of belonging as provided by the constitution of our country.
- Therefore, anyone who has any complaint against the installation of new traditional rulers in the State should channel his grievances properly rather that resort to cheap political propaganda.
- Let me therefore call on traditional rulers in the State to continue to mobilise, sensitise and unite their people towards taking advantage of various government initiatives aimed at empowering them for more productivity.
- We are opening up Plateau for business and more people are coming into the State to invest. We must create the right environment for them so that our youths can get jobs while our economy grows.
- Finally, I call on all the sons and daughters of the five Chiefdoms to support their traditional rulers in settling down and providing leadership that promotes development.
- They are human and prone to make genuine mistakes, but you need to pray for them and offer them constructive advice rather than criticise and seek to pull them down.
- Once more I congratulate you and wish all of us a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Rt. Hon. (Dr) Simon Bako Lalong
Executive Governor, Plateau State
17th December 2019.