FCT Youth Task Force on COVID-19 recommends closure of Abuja again

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Youth Task Force on COVID-19 has advised President Muhammadu Buhari to lock Abuja again.

It said this followed the number of coronavirus cases and deaths so far recorded.

Ango Suleiman, Chairman of the Task Force, spoke at a news conference on Wednesday.

Suleiman told the federal government not to mind public opinion on the ease of the measures earlier put in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

“The same people demanding the ease of lockdown may come back to criticize and condemn the action of the government when things go wrong. Therefore, the only option is doing whatever is best for the people”, NAN quoted him as saying.

Suleiman warned that law enforcement agencies were becoming overwhelmed and gradually losing control of the people since the lockdown was lifted.

He cited the massive gathering at banks, checkpoints as well as public disobedience in observing safety measures to buttress his point.

Suleiman insisted that the repercussions of the early lifting of the lockdown around the world were a lesson to learn “as our peculiarity can never be an excuse for our carelessness.”

The spokesperson of the FCT Natives, Inusa Yusuf, urged banks to open all their branches so that people won’t need to clog at the few ones.

Yusuf observed that the development had encouraged public gatherings and discouraged social distancing.

NAN

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s